Friday, May 25, 2007

Operation Super Panic On The Mend!

You know when I was pregnant with both of my children I prayed and prayed about their health and well-being. I felt blessed when they arrived perfectly beautiful and healthy. I spent time during my pregnancies wondering how I would handle having a handicapped child...if God had given me that type of strength. This may seem morbid to some, but I think it is a natural thought process for new moms. You have 9 long months to consider all the possibilites. The one steadfast thought is knowing without a doubt that your ability to love is strong and you just hope God will take care of the rest.

God did bless us with wonderfully healthy children and I think part of me has taken that for granted to some degree. Don't get me wrong, every single time I see my kids laugh, watch them run and jump, take part in their learning, and see them grow; I thank God for His hand in their lives.

Maryn began to constantly ask us to repeat ourselves. She began putting her hand to her ear and constantly said she could not hear us, the television, anything. Dad and I began to get concerned that there may be a problem. We went to the doctor and were told she had fluid behind her ears. Okay, no big deal. They said to come back in a month to check and see if her body would take care of it naturally. When we went back they told us her ears were clear, cleaned out some wax and performed a hearing test.....which she failed.....miserably. I am somewhat thankful that I was not there to see the worried look on the doctors face because hearing Rex's description of it scared me enough. She referred us to an ENT and we decided to take her to wonderful Dr. Robb, who did Dylan's tubes last year. We had a full week till her appointment.

I began to panic. I am, by nature, a worrier. I began to wonder about a life of sign language and disability, hearing aids and insensitive children. I was not scared of this being a part of my life as much as I was sad at the thought of Maryn never hearing my voice again. I put Maryn on our prayer chain and began to search people who know her for advice and reassurance. There is nothing better when you are going through these times than to have strong uplifting people in your life. Despite being blessed with these kinds of people, it was a very long week.

On Thursday my fears were put to rest and a new mission presented itself.....find a new pediatrician! The ENT said in exaggeration that there were 3 gallons of fluid behind Maryn's ears. He was stunned and unbelieving that it would not have been there just last week. He suggested that she get tubes and her adenoids taken out just as Dylan did. We both are so thankful for all the prayers sent her way and cannot wait for her to be over her surgery and hearing well. I look forward to hearing her say, "Mom, you're talking too loud"!

No comments: