Monday, November 19, 2007

Holiday High!

My holiday high is kicking in full gear. My head is swimming. I feel all giddy inside. I am in my nothing-can-bring-me-down state of mind! I truly can not believe it is here again! The holidays can be so hectic with small babies. Shuttling them here and there. Carting all of there not-so-essential-but-don't-you-dare-say-I-don't-need-them items around. Watching their every move. Making sure they don't crack their heads on relatives fragile items or trying to keep their tongues off the floor, their little fingers out of every one's food and so on and so on. This year, there is a little more freedom. A little more time to soak in the bliss of it all. A little more time for relaxation and conversation and less of the distracted: "I'm sorry...what were you saying."

My purpose here is less to gush and more to come up to date on some things that have happened in the last couple months:

  • Dylan is doing GREAT on the potty since my last post on this issue. He is still having some accidents here and there, but overall has been amazing! We are now, after 4 great years, completely diaper and pull-up free in our house.
  • Trick-or-treating was a riot! After the witch incident at Cagle's Dairy, Dylan refused to have anything to do with it. As soon as he hit the driveway and saw all the creepy images roaming the streets he freaked! I went back inside with him, started a movie, and gave him a blanket for protection. Every time someone came to the door he made a quick dive underneath! Good thing for sweet big sisters. Maryn came home and gave half her candy to her little brother. She said to me later that night: "You don't have to walk to the door with me next time. I'm not afraid anymore."
  • We have recently toured a kindergarten that we are really hoping Maryn will go to. It was so bittersweet watching her walk around this huge new place. Am I ready for this? I guess I don't have a choice...right?
  • Maryn and Dylan have been practicing guitar. Singing their own original lyrics every night after bath. Totally awesome! I vow to get this on video! Maryn accompanies Dylan's music with her version of the Super Star dance from Saturday Night Live. She is starting to carry her vocals a little longer too which is so sweet and Dylan's rhythm is really amazing.

Now the holidays are on us and we have so much going on, but I would not have it any other way. I am excited to spend time with family and friends and watch the kids soak up time with them that seems so rare sometimes. We will be doing the Stone Mountain Christmas for the first time this year, spending a night in Gatlinburg to see the lights. And, of course, the kids most favorite things are decorating the house, driving the neighborhoods to see all the decorations, and curling up with hot chocolate and watching Polar Express......EVERY NIGHT!!! I LOVE IT!!!

By the way, here are some belated Halloween photos:

Superheros!
Maryn: Dad, you ARE going to carry this, aren't you?!!!
Connor: What? No slackers on my watch!


Maryn: I'm just KIDDING!
Dylan sees ghosts and goblins through the door. He decides not to go trick or treating!
I'm ready to go now!
Grandmama leads them to their first house of the night
Candy corn! We don't want no stinking candy corn! Where's the Snickers?
Not too bad, Dad!
I'm so sad that my brother didn't want to come!

No comments: