Thursday, January 03, 2008

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like........Normal!!!


Generally when the word "normal" is used to describe our family (or probably most people's families) it is followed by a muffled chuckle and a roll of the eyes. But here we are, it's 2008 and the holidays have passed us by once more.

We had an amazing holiday this year. We didn't go overboard (like we have a choice), we didn't increase our debts.....AT ALL, and the kids were so awesome. We had a really amazing time spending the night at Papa Bear and Grandmama's house. If it weren't for the darn roosters, I might say we would do it again soon. It is so much fun watching my kids and their cousins have the time to bond and be silly. And I had just as much fun staying up late with everyone and just relaxing and chatting.

And what could be more fun than Christmas morning! It started out with great excitement as my clumsy butt fell right down the stairs in my rush to beat everyone to get that magical morning picture, but only managed to terrify the kids who just cried thinking I must have died. Once we were safely on ground level, the festivites began. Each present was met with, "he really did know!" and just pure amazement.


This year I struggled a little bit with the idea of Santa. Don't get me wrong.....I LOVE the idea of Santa. But I think I failed a bit this year in expressing the true magic of Christmas which should be celebrated as the birth of Jesus Christ. Of course, we mentioned it. The kids know. But I somehow failed to give it the attention and time it really deserved. It is so easy for me to allow myself and the kids to get caught up in the ribbons and bows, lights and music, Baileys and Coffee. Rex and I have different histories in regards to the Santa experience. I found out about Santa at a young age (maybe 6), Rex was about 30. Just kidding!! He was maybe 12. The fantasy of Santa is HUGE for him and he wants it to last as long as possible. I am not real sure just yet. I think next year we will have to think a little more and make a little more effort to incorporate Jesus into our holidays and the spirit of giving that it represents without becoming Scrooges of course. This year I made the mistake of using Santa as a means of doing what I say. If Santa really can be looked at as someone who encapsulates the spirit of Jesus, then doing this sends a very wrong message. Do I use Jesus to get my kids to eat their green beans or stop whining? Of course not. As is the case with Jesus, our love for him leads us to want to please him and obey his word. At the same time, our love for this jolly man named Santa, should also lead us to do the same. Not for fear of a stocking full of coal. In that lesson you lose the most powerful message of grace and forgiveness.

I didn't really mean to go on and on about that! I am really looking forward to what this year has to offer. Maryn will be starting Kindergarten in '08! It is hard to imagine. Incidentally, she rolled her eyes at something daddy said this morning. Here we go!!! Dylan is doing so great! He begins speech therapy next week and is looking forward to pre-K so he can be big and go on field trips like his sister. He is the sweetest thing! He has his dad's love language of touch. It doesn't matter what he is doing, he will find some way to touch you. I love that. He holds my hand when we sit together, hugs my leg when we are standing somewhere. I generally have to wiggle my fingers away from him if I am trying to do something. I usually don't want to because there is such a sweetness in the feel of your babies holding on to you, but if I didn't he would be attached to me 24/7.

Anyway, I hope and pray for a happy and healthy 2008 for all of us!

No comments: