I had an amazing day yesterday! I had the opportunity to sub for my teacher who was going out of town. It was an important day because we had an accreditation crew there touring our school. Ms. Griffin let everyone know to avoid our classroom since I would be subbing and she would not be there. I was a little nervous. I absolutely love working in my class, but this was only the second time I had subbed and took on full responsibility for the class. And then to have the added pressure of the committee being there and possibly coming in to observe me was somewhat daunting. Thankfully, Ms. Griffin gave me everything I needed and I felt really prepared.
I began my day praying for a great day and to not be worried about "the visitors". I was having a really good day, things were going smoothly and quickly. Friday's are always a very fast-paced day! I was finishing up my phonics lesson so my kids could head off to P.E when a lady walked in to my classroom and headed to the back. I did my best to just ignore that she was there and continue on. I mean we only had about 10 minutes before we lined up, I could handle that! I completed the lesson and lined the kids up for P.E. and as the last child walked out, I greeted the lady in my room. She was so sweet! I made sure she realized that I was not the teacher in this room and was subbing for the day! She asked me if I had a degree, which caught me off guard. I thought it was a pretty personal question at first and then I worried, since I do not have a degree and told her such, that this was somehow going to reflect poorly on our school. I talked to her a while longer and she shared her story of how her husband pushed her to finish her education because he wanted to make sure that, in the event he passed on before her, that she would be able to support herself. She fulfilled his wishes and when her husband did pass away she was comfortably in a successful teaching career which she retired from with good benefits.
I was really encouraged by her words. Having a degree and finishing a program is something that has always nagged at me. The problem is I just could not dedicate myself to any program because I did not know what I wanted to be. Or more importantly, where God wanted me to be. But beyond feeling her encouragement, I was still worried I had said something that made the school look bad. I talked to another TA who gave me some good advice. She said to talk to Mr. Lester, our Elementary Principal, and just let him know what happened. When I did this, he said that it was no big deal and thanked me because it would allow them to bring up their hiring process in the last meeting they had with "the visitors". I felt better!
At the end of the day, I am getting my kids into the hall for carpool and I see Mr. Lester coming straight for me with this big smile on his face. He gives me a quick hug and says he has to talk to me. This beautiful lady who had visited my class had gone directly to Mr. Lester and told him that I needed to be teaching. That I was professional and great in the classroom and had an obvious knack for teaching! What I had interpreted on her face as disapproving when I told her I did not have a degree, was in fact shock because she assumed I did and was a certified teacher. Wow! I was in shock! I am excited!! As I listened to the other teachers at the end of the day talking about their shock that this group of people did not even come into their classrooms. It struck me. What made this woman come into my room? It was so random. It was so God!
I have prayed and prayed for an open door and I will continue to pray for the strength to go through that door!
What was equally powerful to me was my husband's expression when I told him what had happened. He was so proud.....of me!!! He was moved by my experience! This has been a powerful day! Now, I have no idea what to do next???
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a sweet post, Rachel! Isn't it amazing when we see God work in our lives? And amazing still that we are so surprised by it!
I will pray for you and His leading in your life!
Hugs for you my friend!
Kam
Post a Comment