Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Sensitivity Perfected!

Oh, my little Dylan. Our little cherub-faced boy. A harsh word can send him reeling into a pit of unknown-to-mankind despair. Sometimes he just seems so fragile, that at the moment you see it coming on you just want stop time and run in reverse.

Daddy had the misfortune of inheriting a trait where the moment a spill is evident a flash of anger comes over him. I will not divulge whom he claims is a part of this genetic disposition! :) The other day at breakfast, Dylan's cup collided with the kitchen floor. It happens, right? Well, Rex's instinct kicked in and he uttered Dylan's name a little too sharply for Dylan's taste....and then it began!

First comes the quivering lip, like a red carpet for all the sadness and devastation he can muster. He looks at you directly in the eyes periodically and then covers his face. Like he just can't bear the thought of such cruelty. The tears are spilling over and if there is anything in that moment you wish you could do, it would be to take it back. You want so desperately to take it back. Poor little thing!

What I am really loving right now is how he tells me goodbye when I drop him at school. His classroom faces the parking lot. For the first couple of weeks in his new big boy class the teacher would hold him at the window crying so he could wave goodbye to me as I drove away. Now, when he goes in he walks directly to the window, grabs a chair from the stack, and he stands there watching me walk to my car, anxious to wave his little hand. As I drive away, I can see his face from about the nose up and he waves, so happy and confident. He waves until I can't see him any longer. I head to work anxious to see his face again!

1 comment:

Carmen San Diego said...

how could he yell ar such a cute little guy. Look at that face. It's a face of an angel. THose tears are priceless. Man its a good thing I don't have little ones anymore. They'd walk all over me.