I've had to stay home with Maryn for 3 days - Friday, Monday and Tuesday. On Friday she was coughing and it sounded very much like croup, along with the wheezing that goes with it. Knowing that both her and Dylan had only had it a few weeks earlier, that's it's contagious and that they go to day care, we assumed it was just a little day care pinball going on. Took her to the doctor and she didn't find croup. Standard cough/cold diagnosis.Saturday was fine, Sunday she starting running a fever, and Monday morning she was burning up. So back to the doctor we go where she was then diagnosed with strep throat. Doctor gave antibiotics and said to keep her home at least 24 hours since that's the highest time for contagion.
Luckily I work for a great company with great bosses and my job is one that can be done anywhere there's an internet connection, so I was able to stay home with her.
I could say that it was all wonderful, but truthfully its tough. You try to work and she's asking questions left and right (she IS 4 after all,) wanting you to look at this picture or that drawing, etc. Sometimes I'm trying to read, run a query, look at numbers and stats, or answer an email and the distractions are just plain annoying.But, it was mostly wonderful. Really the only time I get to spend one on one time with the kids is when one of them is sick and has to stay home. This time, it was fun. She had strep, but she wasn't down for the count, so she was full of energy. On top of that, she's coming into her own as a little girl. She's sweet and really glows when you pay her a compliment about something she's drawn or colored. She beams. She tries to make you smile by being silly. Then she's senstive - you say something to her with the slightest, harsh tone, she falls to pieces and you're scooping her up (yes, encouraging the meltdowns, but how can you resist!) I really got a glimpse of her that I typically do not see in the business of life when her brother is there, demanding equal attention or putting on shows of his own.
Then we ran a few errands here and there during lunch - hair cuts, dropped mommy's van off at the shop, and stopped by Sam's Club. She's become the social butterfly at the pool or with the neighbors, yelling "HELLO" to anyone within eye sight. The weather is great, so with windows down, she's yelling at people at the gas station, as we pass them on the street, saying "Hi" to whomever will listen. One lady at the gas station her her yell "Hello" from the window and came over to greet her in return, saying that her simple "hello" made her whole day. Then I look at my beaming little girl and think, "Where the heck did she get that sweetness from, because ME, well I'm an ass! Must be her mommy, of course." Then I just shine with pride.
At the doctor's office, she listens to everything she's asked to do by the doctor with this innocent and genuine, pleasant smile. At the hair salon, she sits up tall and smiles with satisfaction at herself in the mirror as the stylist cuts her hair and tells her how pretty it is. Such a big girl. I find myself almost teary-eyed, and I can't take my eyes off of her.She yaks at me from the back seat. She asks questions and I surprise myself when I have the patience to answer them with caution, care and truth (difficult questions over these past few days, too, like why there are bad people, what will we do in heaven, will you be there when I grow up and get married and will you drive me to my job when I'm all grown up.)
It's been a nice few days. I feel closer to her. I think she feels closer to me. I got to see the little individual that she is, rather than one half of the dynamic duo that is Maryn & Dylan.
I'm sad to see her go back, and yet relieved to get back to the routine. But I know I've got these memories for the rest of my life. And I thank God for showing me a little more than I have been seeing.
No comments:
Post a Comment