Thursday, November 05, 2009

Praise God!!!


I was reading over my last post about Dylan (man I sound so whiny sometimes!!! ) and wanted to update on his success!!

I currently have two mantras going in my head:

1. Lord you are more precious than (fill in the blank). And nothing I desire compares to you! My blank is currently Halloween candy.

2. God will not give me more than I can handle.

This second one I have been reminding myself of daily when it comes to Dylan. Since my last post, as his teacher said he would, Dylan has been breezing through his phonic charts and is now reading small words. God is so, so good!! I am still struggling with our homework time and not losing my patience. My biggest fear is that he will assume that Mommy thinks he is not smart. I do not think this in any way. What I do firmly believe is that we have babied him to an extent and if I will do it for him, he will let me. This was a groundbreaking moment in our learning. Once I told him how smart I knew he was and that I was not going to baby step him through his homework, literally the next day he was powering through his phonics charts.

Dylan was always able to pitch a pretty significant fit when he was little. Because of this we might have catered to him a bit more to avoid this behavior. To correct this now, he is having to go through some pains of realizing in himself that he is capable. That is not fun to watch, but the pride I see in his face when he begins to get it has been amazing!

My immediate hope is that I will continue to look at Dylan as an individual that God made and in no way compare him to anyone! That I will be able to shepherd him with grace, love and discipline that will help him live a life focused on Christ!

No comments: