Thursday, October 05, 2006

Likely Not!

I am wondering today if the feeling of wanting to surround my children with some impenetrable shield for the rest of their lives will ever pass. The sheer volume of bad news these days is almost too much to bear. I think maybe a bubble existence wouldn't be so bad. Maybe safe in their bubble, I could simulate the ups and downs of life to provide a seemingly perfect existence. But only the major stuff like getting caught telling your first lie, stealing something to impress your friends, or finding out what it feels like to be betrayed, or not liked. But also the good stuff like your first kiss, or the feeling of success and love.

We all have to take off our rose-colored glasses at some point, I just dread the day my children do. I wish they could always see life like they see the movie, Curious George. Maryn and Dylan, neither one like the part where the burly doorman is searching for George. I know it is the look on his face they dislike. I say, "he's just very grumpy". But, Maryn tells me to "get to the happy parts". She is content to just see the good stuff in life right now and I dread the day that all the stuff that I see comes into clear view.

It is only my faith that allows me to escape a life filled with fear!

No comments: