Friday, May 23, 2008

Pre-K Graduation and Shoe Treasure and other Miscellaneous Happenings!!!



Maryn had her preschool graduation this week. Such an amazing experience seeing her getting ready for Kindergarten. It was a strange experience walking out of the doors after graduation knowing she would not be going there anymore. I don't think I realized the gravity of it until I was there in it. I starting looking around thinking....she won't see these teachers anymore, a lot of these friends she will never see again, the preschool playground will become a distant memory. We took one last run on the paved runway by the parking lot. Something she always wanted to do with her friends after school and often allowed to do by exasperated moms just wanting to get home and start dinner. The family picnic is next week and I am going to do my best to get as many addresses and numbers as possible so I can try to keep her connected. I know she will miss them.

So much has happened in the last couple weeks that sitting here now, having failed to blog about them when they happened, I find that my memory is eluding me. I also find that I feel a bit guilty about the things that I can blog about. Maryn makes it so easy because she is so vocal. Dylan is more of a physical comedian and I have a harder time doing him justice by writing his crazy antics. I was watching him get ready in the bathroom today and it just dawned on me that I will just have to get a video and tape him because he has to be seen to be believed. He is an absolute nut!

I cannot wait to see the things that happen in Dylan's life when he begins pre-K. A lot has changed in the last month. I no longer am working my full-time job. I took a position at Cherokee Christian where Maryn and Dylan will go to school. This has given me the opportunity to be home with them all summer and I am so scared and excited!!! I am so thrilled about the time and fun I think we are going to have, but a touch fearful that this summer will be a bit spoiling to them and make if difficult to begin school again when the time comes. This will be the first year that Dylan is completely on his own. His best friend will not be in pre-K with him and Maryn and mommy will be in a completely different place. It will be interesting to say the least. But for now, I am just going to focus on summer and have a great time.

In Maryn's last couple of months at school she began coming home with her shoes filled with tiny items. Items that, had you been with her, would have been the things you insisted she not touch. Every afternoon she would get in the car and peel off her shoe to display this strange collection of fuzzy balls, bottle caps, random confetti, etc. I would ask her if that hurt to have all that stuff in her shoe. She assured me that it did....very much, but that it was important to protect the treasure. Silly girl!

We were going to bed the other day and she asked why we did not close their bedroom door. I explained that we didn't need to when it was just us here and that doors were for privacy. She asked if we could close the door in the mornings and I asked why. She said that if a door did not get to do what a door was supposed to do that the door would be sad. Very thoughtful girl!

Did I mention how excited I am about the summer? Maryn and Dylan have become neighborhood social butterflies. Every afternoon they can be found romping the backyard with local kids. I love to hear them interact and have fun with them. Dylan has especially come out of his shell in this area the last couple months. He makes friends easily, he shares his toys, he wants to make sure everyone has a snack and a drink. He is the cutest little boy on the planet earth!

Happy, Happy Summer!!!!

No comments: