I let a friend come home with Dylan to play for a while after school on Friday. This happens to be the one friend that Dylan ever requests to have come and play so I often grant this request. The last time they had a play date Rex walked upstairs to find them pouring soap into the toilet and flushing it over and over to make bubbles and swishing around the water with their hands. Now Dylan just does not do these kinds of things on his own accord so it is completely shocking to see at first glance. The kids know that when they have friends over that they are not allowed to go into our room or to trash their bedroom. They have a toy room and we expect them to play there. What we have learned is that the kids are having a hard time enforcing the rules of our house when friends are involved. This is something that has to be learned. So on one hand I am thankful that the most recent episode occurred because, hopefully, the severe punishment will be fresh when the opportunity presents itself again in the future. I don't want to have to watch my kids like a hawk to prevent them from doing something hideous. I really want them to learn that I expect them to act as though I am watching them like a hawk when I am nowhere to be seen!!! Is that too much to ask??!! :)
Anyway, on to the hideous incident! I can hear Aunt Jenna right now saying what could he have really done that was SO bad......sweet, little cute Dylan! Well, Aunt Jenna, let me fill you in! Okay, so Micah is over and all is going well upstairs. I am checking on them from time to time. Yelling up to make sure they are okay on occasion. All indications were that they were having a great time playing with one another. Until I hear Micah utter the following words: "Dylan, get me some more toothpaste!" Alarms going off in my head, I rush upstairs. Rex closely behind me. The smell of toothpaste hits me as I land on the top step. I am already fuming, but hoping that all might be at least contained in the bathroom. It is the first place I look and my hopes are shattered as I see that both the travel tube of toothpaste and the brand new, red and white striped Dr. Seuss tube of toothpaste have disappeared. The toy room, go to the toy room my mind prompts me next. I go in and find something completely inconsistent to what I am looking for. I see a slimy trail of some sort of something leading to the kids play kitchen in the closet of the toy room and I find a completely squeezed out tube of Neosporin all over the kitchen and some other random items on the floor. At this point I am about to explode and in hindsight I see the terrified looks of two small children in the corner of my glaring eyes!! The only other option is their bedroom. I head in that direction and am hit with the overpowering smell of toothpaste. I know I have entered the scene of the crime and I question if I really want to continue. I really have no choice and I begin my investigation. It takes little time to expose the scene. Maryn's bed has been covered in toothpaste. It is smooshed between her sheets on her pillows, on the carpet, all of her lovies, and some of her books. We unleash our fury and deliver our punishment to Dylan. We clearly can not touch Micah, but he is sitting against the wall in the hallway more than likely praying to God for some miracle that would make his mom show up at the door and this very instant. We make Dylan strip Maryn's bed so that the sheets could be cleaned and all the while trying to figure out what in heaven's name could have been going through their little heads. They both quickly placed the blame on one another, a wonderful lesson in loyalty I think to myself. As I was putting the sheets in the wash something was nagging at me that it was not over. I think it was the fact that I had not found the caps of the toothpaste yet. Something told me to look in the closet. I really didn't want to at this point, but I knew I had no choice. I open the door and find the caps and the secondary crime scene. Toothpaste had been squeezed all over Maryn's school uniforms, the hangers, her sleeping bag and the carpet in the closet. Can you see why this has taken me a couple days!!!! The best we could get out of them was that they thought Maryn would go to bed and get stuck in her bed and thought it might be funny. We were not laughing. The kids were sent downstairs to sit in silence until Micah's mom showed up. He must have been too scared to cry before or was comfortable knowing we could not touch him, because the tears began to flow as his mom entered the room. Because of this incident, Dylan lost all of his movies for a month, had to eat dinner and go straight to bed at 6:30pm, lost his movie outing with Dad the next day, lost all of his incentive rocks, is not allowed a play date with Micah for 2 months.
So now I am going to post some pictures of Dylan so you can all remember what a cute little angel he is :) :
No comments:
Post a Comment