So Dylan started Kindergarten a month ago. I was so thankful that he had his sister to help him because, of the two, he is much more dependent....or so I think. I agonized over his first day. I was worried about how he would adjust. What his teacher would think. Would he mind his manners? Would he be able to sit still and listen? Would he make friends quickly?
His first day went smoothly enough and I was very, very proud of him. He was nervous and he was feeling shy. To protect himself from this new experience I noticed he was walking around with this mean, grumpy look on his face. It took us several days to help him past this and try to make him realize that making that face is going to scare people and make it much more difficult to get to know the other kids in his class. Being that this was what he was trying to do, it was hard to help him get past it.
What I have found out in this first month of school is that I worry about Dylan far too much. The thing is, Maryn was easy in school. She makes friends quickly, she is eager to learn new things. She went into Kindergarten being able to say all of her letters, something Dylan is still working on. I was expecting Dylan to be on the same level. He is not. But it is okay! Kindergarten is for learning the basics and I am so proud of his progress so far! Kindergarten is also learning how to control your basic behavior and sit and listen. This is something Dylan struggles with and I am thankful he has an amazing teacher to help him figure it all out. He will get more tallies than Maryn did. That is also okay. I have learned not to expect them to be the same. They are uniquely made by God's hands!
Another thing I have learned after a month of school is that, emotionally, Dylan has adjusted much quicker than Maryn did. The tears have stopped and he embraces his independence when he walks in those doors rather than clinging to me until the last possible second as Maryn did!
I am so excited about this year and feel absolutely blessed to still be able to work at this school that I love so much!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment