Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Father's Day!

This is my first ever blogger. Is it called a "blogger" or just a post? I don't really know. I thought Rex was such a weinie when he first started blogging (I feel silly just typing it) because it seemed so cliquey, but I am thrilled now that he put this blog together for the kids. I know they are so loved and many people care about how their little lives are going. I am thankful that everyone has a place to marvel and admire them as much as I do every day.

I do not think there is a single person, outside my family that I relate to more than Catherine Newman. Did I just claim to relate to my family? I really don't, and I am not sure I am supposed to. But anyway, Catherine Newman. I have been reading her weekly journal in ivillage since I became pregnant with Maryn in July of 2002. Since she began her journal at this same time, she has written a book (Waiting for Birdy) which I vow to one day own and pass on to my children and anyone I know who has kids. She has this way of putting what it feels like to parent, in all of its up and downs, in a way that no one else has for me. I adore her and anxiously await every weekly submission. I even have Rex reading them!

This week's journal was about Father's Day and I wanted to share a snipit of it with you all because it completely sums up how we all feel about Rex.....the bestest, bestest (do not read perfect), bestest daddy ever!

From Catherine Newman:
On a recent evening car ride, Birdy was so miserable about missing you that when somebody in a song we were listening to mentioned being sad, she burst into tears. The fact that it was a line from the song "I'm My Own Grandpa" seemed somehow beside the point. This was the same car ride during which Ben announced, "I have some gross comments and a normal question." I won't reproduce the comments here, but this was the question: "Mama, would you eat the grossest, unhealthiest, rottenest, grossest thing in the world if you had to, to stay partners with Daddy?" I pictured brains in aspic. I pictured liver flan with liver sauce. Chicken sushi. "I would," I said to Ben. "Anything." And he said, somewhat inaccurately but his point was perfectly taken, "I would too."

So, yes, to sum up I would eat cow brains to be with you! And even though we can hardly get Maryn to even eat toast at this point and all Dylan wants is Cashews and Cheese, I can guarantee they would too! WE LOVE YOU SO VERY, VERY MUCH!

1 comment:

Rex White said...

Thanks, honey. Very sweet!! Did I mention that I ordered you that book by Catherine Newman this morning - how funny!