Wednesday, June 21, 2006

When Daddy is Gone

Rex is out of town for a couple days and as the kids get older there reaction to this changes. For me, since the kids have gotten older the process is not so daunting. They are easier to manage. For them, they are more aware than they used to be. At this point it is more endearing than tragic because they don't quite get it. This morning was our first morning with Rex not there to fulfill his usual morning duties (he gets them up and dressed while I get ready and start breakfast) and it went very smoothly. It was after our routine that Dylan started to get curious. He starts to walk around the house saying, "Daddy...where he go?". He wasn't doing this in a screaming, I am gonna make all the noise my body can muster until I see Daddy's face kinda way like I normally expect from him. It was just a very curious, I miss Daddy way. We all do!

Rex has a very ellaborate good-bye routine with the kids that they very clearly missed this morning. Normally he straps them in while I gather all the bags and put them in the car. He starts with one and gives them hugs and kisses and high-fives's (you know the highs, lows, and too slows kind) and then goes over and repeats this with the other. As I am heading out of the driveway I generally roll my window down so Daddy can hear the enormously loud "bye, Daddy" that erupts as he stands at the top of the driveway. It is a wonderful send-off I have to say. Today instead they said, "bye daddy in florida!"

1 comment:

Rex White said...

Good grief... I literally read this just mere seconds before I had to go meet someone I had to interview. I miss you guys too!