Monday, July 31, 2006

I Could Not Be More Proud!

Well we did it. We spent the weekend potty training and I could not be more proud of my daughter. She amazes me and I am simply beaming.

Rex and I took a stance early on that we would wait until we knew Maryn was ready to potty train. Depending on who you are talking to this can be a popular approach or a lazy one. But, we endured the comments of disbelief that a 3-year-old was not potty trained and the ones that claimed: they're your children and we will let you screw them up however you choose. And low and behold the results are the same. My daughter is going to the potty, well at least she is peeing in the potty. And you can ask our friends, Jeff and Amy, who were over for dinner last night........she is really going to the potty! From dinner to bathtime, she must have sat on the potty 20 times. Enthusiastic to say the least!

Every parents approach to potty training is different, but I have to say that I am very happy we waited. Being able to see Maryn being so proud of herself is beyond words. She is so aware that she is crossing a threshold from being a baby to being a big girl and I am happy to make those steps while holding her hand instead of at her back pushing her across!

Kudos to you my sweet baby girl!!

Edited on 8/7/06:

I just wanted to add that a week later, Maryn is already pooping in the potty! I am so stoked! We went the whole weekend with not one single accident and we actually left the house! It was so funny sitting in the bathroom with her while she pooped. I tried so hard not to laugh when her face would turn red and she would strain to go and say, "it's just going to pop right out!"

Because she progressed through this potty training thing so quickly, Rex and I got tired of handing out prizes all day. So, we took her to the store yesterday and picked out her final prize for doing so well (a cinderella doll with accessories)and had a "Potty Party" cake.

Poor Dylan has just caught on to the process and this morning went and sat on the potty with all his clothes on. I said to him, "good boy, look how big you are". He proceeded to get down from the potty and walk directly to the closet where we kept the potty prizes and say, "treat". Needless to say, he was not at all happy when I explained that he had to actually pee or poop in the potty to get a prize. His day will come!

1 comment:

Rex White said...

HERE HERE - I 2ND THAT!! Very proud of you, baby. I can't stop smiling today thinking about what a big girl you are!